Current:Home > NewsMohamed Al-Fayed, late billionaire whose son died with Princess Diana, accused of rape -SecureNest Finance
Mohamed Al-Fayed, late billionaire whose son died with Princess Diana, accused of rape
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 07:29:02
Mohamed Al-Fayed, the late billionaire whose son died with Princess Diana, has been accused of inappropriate sexual conduct including rape by multiple women and girls.
The Egyptian businessman and ex-owner of the luxury London department store Harrods is the subject of a new BBC documentary "Al Fayed: Predator at Harrods." BBC reports it heard testimony from 20 women and girls, including 13 survivors who opened up in the doc about Al-Fayed's alleged abuse. Al-Fayed died last year at 94.
At the time of the alleged abuse, he owned the Ritz Paris hotel and British football club Fulham FC in addition to Harrods. BBC says the documentary will show "the scale and seriousness of these allegations" for the first time and suggests Harrods helped cover up Al-Fayed's crimes.
Al Fayed's 25-year tenure as owner of Harrods lasted from 1985 to 2010. According to a BBC News article published Thursday, the alleged incidents took place in London; St. Tropez, France; Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; and Paris, where his son died.
An Associated Press article published last year chronicled Al-Fayed's controversial beliefs surrounding his son's death alongside Princess Diana in a Paris car crash after a paparazzi chase in 1997. According to the AP, the billionaire believed the pair were killed in a conspiracy masterminded by Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Princess Kate finishes chemotherapy andsays she's 'doing what I can to stay cancer-free'
Other claims documented by the AP said that Diana was pregnant with Al-Fayed's grandchild, and she planned to marry his son, but the royal family did not want the princess to marry a Muslim.
Harrods' new owners say they're 'appalled' by Mohamed Al-Fayed's alleged abuse
In a statement published on their website, Harrods addressed the allegations of abuse Thursday.
"We are utterly appalled by the allegations of abuse perpetrated by Mohamed Al Fayed. These were the actions of an individual who was intent on abusing his power wherever he operated, and we condemn them in the strongest terms," the statement reads. "We also acknowledge that during this time as a business we failed our employees who were his victims and for this we sincerely apologize."
The statement continued, calling Harrods "a very different organization than it was when Al-Fayed owned it," saying they "cannot undo the past" while promising to ensure "that such behaviour can never be repeated in the future."
The company said that "since new information came to light in 2023 about historic allegations of sexual abuse by Al Fayed, it has been our priority to settle claims in the quickest way possible." They added that they want to avoid "lengthy legal proceedings" for the women involved and they will continue that process for current and former employees.
veryGood! (536)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Why Eric Dane Thinks He Was Fired From Grey’s Anatomy
- This pink blob with beady eyes is a humanoid robot with living skin
- NBA free agency tracker: LeBron opting out of contract but expected to return to Lakers
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Sophia Bush and Ashlyn Harris Mark the End of First Pride Month as a Couple in an Adorable Way
- Baseball Hall of Famer Orlando Cepeda dies at 86
- US Olympic track trials results: 400m hurdles stars dazzle as world record falls
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Mega Millions winning numbers for June 28 drawing: Jackpot rises to $137 million
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- ‘Lab-grown’ meat maker hosts Miami tasting party as Florida ban goes into effect
- Horoscopes Today, June 29, 2024
- AEW Forbidden Door 2024 live: Results, match grades, highlights and more
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Tia Mowry's Ex-Husband Cory Hardrict Shares How He's Doing After Divorce
- Financing of Meat and Dairy Giants Grows Thanks to Big American Banks and Investors
- Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet Step Out Together for the First Time in Months
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Simone Biles secures third trip to the Olympics after breezing to victory at U.S. trials
Thousands attend annual EuroPride parade in Greek city of Thessaloniki amid heavy police presence
Trump ally Steve Bannon to report to federal prison to serve four-month sentence on contempt charges
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Pac-12 Networks to go dark Sunday night after 12-year run
Inside Khloe Kardashian's Dollywood-Inspired 40th Birthday Party With Snoop Dogg
Summer doldrums have set in, with heat advisories issued across parts of the US South